Since 1992, Discovery Mood & Anxiety Program has provided compassionate and evidence-based mental health disorder treatment to those in need. We are pleased to bring this quality care to the DMA facility in Alexandria, Virginia. We serve adolescents ages 10-17 of all genders residential care.
We are committed to being good partners in the community by building relationships with the patients and their support systems who walk through our doors. Our residential center in Alexandria is conveniently located 30 minutes south of Washington, D.C., and serves patients from Virginia, Maryland and Washington, D.C.
Building ESTEEM™ with Evidence-Based Treatment
Our Discovery ESTEEM SystemTM provides individualized care to help patients develop the skills and confidence they need to create the life they want. Along with customized care, we employ a variety of evidence-based modalities, including cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) and more. Here, patients benefit from one-on-one therapeutic support as well as group sessions in an encouraging environment of peers where they can safely practice new ways of coping that are transferable to home. Family therapy is also available.
At the Alexandria center, we ensure that patients are able to focus on recovery while staying on track with studies through our comprehensive School Support Program. Experiential therapies are also available, which includes music and art, for a well-rounded experience.
DMA Support After Treatment
Patients can also expect programs after treatment, such as:
- Aftercare to facilitate transitions and challenges post-discharge.
- A customized Discovery app to provide information, resources and a community of support for family members.
- Discovery alumni online support groups, in-person and virtual events for family members and patients to assist in post-discharge transition and provide an ongoing support system to facilitate long-term recovery.
- Discovery for Life™, free support that’s with patients for a lifetime. This includes Discovery365™, a 16-point interactive assessment and check-in program for one year after discharge. With Discovery365, we use breakthrough, proprietary technology to intervene when patients need additional support.
Preferred In-Network Provider
Discovery Mood & Anxiety Program is a preferred provider with most major insurance companies. Our team of experienced insurance verification specialists will confirm not only if the level of care you are seeking is covered by your policy but also determine what, if any, out-of-pocket cost you would incur. Reach out to the team today to verify your coverage.
MEET THE TEAM
Here’s What Patients Say After Completing Treatment*
- 97% feel hopeful about their future*
- 95% believe they can handle life after treatment*
- 99% know what helps them get better*
“This has been my best experience with mental health treatment by far. I was able to uncover and help a lot of things I’ve never been able to help before. I would know if I told someone to come here that they would be safe and would get the help and care they needed.” – D.B., former patient at DMA Brentwood
“My daughter felt the program was useful in helping her to identify her triggers as well as learn strategies for dealing with strong emotions. The family sessions were tough, but so valuable. I always had a lot to think about, and I am hopeful my daughter and I can work through life with more ease and grace.” – S.R., parent of DMA Brentwood alumni
*Percentage includes adult and adolescent patients who admitted to the Discovery Mood & Anxiety Program in 2021 (between 1/1/21 and 12/31/21) and completed the Recovery Assessment Scale (RAS) (N = 2,278). Average length of stay is 34.2 days for those who completed treatment (did not discharge to a higher level of care, due to insurance, against treatment advice, transfer or administratively).